I haven’t had a bagel since I started limiting my gluten intake when I was a senior in college. However, I really envied my husband who gets to eat one in the morning… toasted… with cream cheese… mmm! So, yesterday I finally decided to try my hand at making my own homemade g-free bagels. And let me tell you they won’t disappoint you!
I used Annalise Roberts’ recipe for “Egg Bagels,” which requires her special concoction of flour measurements.
1/3 part millet
1/6 potato starch
1/6 tapioca starch
1) Mix all dry ingredients together:
2 & 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs flour mixture
2 Tbs sweet rice flour
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs yeast
2) Then add the wet ingredients:
2/3 cup plus 1 Tbs very warm water
1 lightly whipped egg
2 Tbs vegetable oil
3) Mix bagel mixture on high speed for 3 minutes
4) Liberally spread rice flour on working surface. Drop sticky dough onto surface and roll into a ball (should be lightly covered in flour). Divide into 8 equal parts, roll each into a ball then make a hole in the center forming it into a bagel shape.
5) Place bagel dough on greased cookie sheet and let rise for 1 hour to 1 & 1/2 hours underneath a light cloth.
6) Preheat oven to 425 F. Boil 8 cups water and 1 Tbs sugar in a large pot.
7) Boil bagels for 2 minutes on each side then place on paper towel and dry before placing back onto greased cookie sheet.
8) Brush tops of bagels with whipped egg whites. Then sprinkle with flavorings of your choice (I used dehydrated onion, garlic salt, and cracked pepper). Lightly spray bagels with baking spray.
|Please excuse the sideways picture… computer refuses to flip it!
9) Bake bagels for 10 minutes then lower oven temperature to 400 F and bake for 15 minutes more.
10) Cool and enjoy!!!!
Mmmmm cream cheese bagel this morning for breakfast!!
Who wants to join me for breakfast tomorrow morning?